Whittier

Posted on Posted in Naval

During World War II, Morrison-Knudsen in conjunction with the United States Army constructed a military facility, complete with port and railroad terminus near the Whittier glacier and named the facility Camp Sullivan. After we completed the spur of the Alaska Railroad to Camp Sullivan in 1943 the port of Whittier became the entrance for United States soldiers into Alaska. Since that period the Company has performed several upgrades and is a popular summer destination for many Morrison Knudsen employees and management.