The Dahla Dam is the largest dam in Kandahar Province, and the second largest in Afghanistan. The dam is 34 kilometers north of Kandahar City and is operated by the Helmand and Arghandab Valley Authority.
The dam was first built between 1950 to 1952 during the reign of Zahir Shah, the last King of Afghanistan. The contractor for the project was Morrison-Knudsen Afghanistan Incorporated. Now some 60 years later the Company is back on the project rehabilitating the dam with Canadian Forces assistance and the British Army. When the project is finished it is hoped that it will double the amount of irrigated land in the Arghandab River basin.
The Company looks forward to its completion as it will eventually raise the standard of living for the people of Afghanistan.